Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Visiting Venus

A recent freelance project, and some other works in progress.

"We Are Now Approaching Venus"

I went for a sci-fi/ surreal style on this one. I did a few washes to give me some texture, then I drew out the background and blocked in color. I wanted it to look biomorphic and almost map-like, as if we are landing on some foreign planet. I played off the theme of the synthesis of mechanical and organic; insect, human, and machine. So we have an alien goddess-figure plugged in to an astronaut, sort of like a robo-medusa. Her Isis crown is receiving signals from a bio-sattelite above. Then we have a beetle installed with a microchip and some sort of queen/ant hybrid crawling around. A lot of this was inspired by Amon Tobin's recent work in ISAM.

"Desert Wanderers"
This piece is the beginning of an album-cover project.
My friend Amir and I are creating a story of two explorers, an artist and a bard, who sail and travel the earth, braving danger and bringing vibrancy to whatever environment they're in.

"Leaving the Meadows Behind"
This is part two of five. Here the two amigos stand before an ominous mountain range. Danger and death await. They have no reason to leave these comfortable poppy-fields, but they do...

More to come as things progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment